With climate change becoming a growing concern worldwide, many travelers are looking for ways to reduce their carbon footprint while enjoying time away from home. If you’re looking for a green resort, look no further than Sebasco Harbor Resort, named a Gold Level GreenLeader by TripAdvisor and a Maine Environmental Leader by the Maine Department of Environmental Protection.
Since it was founded in 2000, TripAdvisor has been a trusted source of consumer travel information. It has grown to become the world’s largest social travel website, with over 200 million users each month viewing information about hotels, resorts, flights, vacation packages and more. TripAdvisor provides over 100 million reviews and photos of hotels, restaurants and tourist attractions from other travelers, making decisions regarding vacation destinations a breeze.
Due to the growing trend among consumers to make greener decisions, this year TripAdvisor announced the launch of its new GreenLeaders Program. The program helps travelers find environmentally friendly accommodations. A recent survey by TripAdvisor’s TripBarometer, the world’s largest accommodation and traveler survey, revealed that 79% of travelers place importance on properties that have implemented eco-friendly practices1. It is clear that consumers are becoming more aware of the impact of their carbon footprint and actively making decisions to minimize any negative environmental impact as a result.
TripAdvisor GreenLeaders program
The GreenLeaders Program is partnered with the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s ENERGY STAR® program and the U.S. Green Building Council to assist in creating a greener planet. Currently, the global tourism industry generates close to $1 trillion annually2 and growing, so providing services where travelers can easily find and choose eco-friendly hotels and resorts is the wave of the sustainable future. In order for a hotel or resort to be accepted into the GreenPartner Program, they are required to meet the program’s minimum requirements. They must:
• Track energy use on a regular basis (at least quarterly)
• Use at least 75% energy-efficient light bulbs
• Have current and active towel and linen re-use plans in place
• Recycle at least two types of waste
• Have staff training on green practices
• Provide guest education on green practices
Sebasco Harbor Resort has successfully achieved a Gold status from the program due to its unwavering commitment to eco-friendly standards. Not only is the entire staff trained annually on implementing green practices, our resort furnishes guest rooms with ENERGY STAR® appliances and organic toiletries. Sebasco Harbor Resort also purchases certified organic and fair trade foods, practices non-toxic pest control, and landscaping is done almost entirely with plants and trees native to the region.
Because of our track record in implementing these types of eco-friendly practices, Sebasco Harbor Resort was also recently recognized by the state of Maine as an Environmental Leader in the Lodging Business. The Maine program recognizes businesses that are committed to environmental and economic sustainability. Certified by the Maine Department of Environmental Protection, Environmental Leaders must have implemented programs that conserve energy and water, minimize waste, use environmentally preferable cleaners, and help to educate the public and their guests on reducing environmental impact.
Of the $1 trillion generated by tourism, $32 billion comes from the cruise ship industry, making it a significant economic force3 in the travel industry. Unfortunately, cruise ships have a widespread, detrimental impact on both the environment and human health. A study released by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) found that commercial vessels – freighters, tankers and cruise ships produce enough air pollution to pose “a significant health concern for coastal communities”4.
So, if you love the ocean, why not choose to stay at an environmentally friendly Maine resort where you can truly savor the sights and sounds of a pristine coastline – and feel good about doing your part to help protect it. Sebasco Harbor Resort is located on over 550 acres of spectacular oceanfront, woodlands and gardens. Our relaxing atmosphere combined with a wide range of guest activities and creative Maine dining make us one of the most memorable vacation destination resorts in the country. And just as we are dedicated to our valued guests, we’re equally committed to preserving the integrity and beauty of nature by being green. It’s something we take great pride in, and one of the many aspects that makes our resort a nationally recognized environmental leader.
1. “TripAdvisor GreenLeaders™ Program Highlights Eco-Friendly Hotels to Help Travelers Plan Greener Trips.” UNEP.org. United Nations Environment Programme, n.d. Web. <http://www.unep.org/NewsCentre/default.aspx?DocumentID=2713>.
2. “TripAdvisor GreenLeaders™ Program Highlights Eco-Friendly Hotels to Help Travelers Plan Greener Trips.” UNEP.org. United Nations Environment Programme, n.d. Web. <http://www.unep.org/NewsCentre/default.aspx?DocumentID=2713>.
3. “Cruise Ship Pollution in the United States.” En.Wikipedia.org. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruise_ship_pollution_in_the_United_States>.
4. Newspapers, McClatchy. “US Study Warns of Pollution from Merchant Ships off Florida Coast.” Guardian.co.uk. Guardian News and Media, n.d. Web. <http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/mar/31/noaa-pollution-florida-freighters-tankers-cruise-ships>.
Be Sociable, Share!